POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition : Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition
From: John VanSickle
Date: 27 Jul 2002 16:56:41
Message: <3D430914.89287E54@hotmail.com>
Mike Blakely wrote:

> To make this card is not technically challenging.

Well, getting 96Gigs of RAM onto a PCI card will be technically
challenging for several years.

> I've been discussing this with some fellow engineers for 4 years now.
> The only issue is cost, which is related to quantity.

Have you identified the most common calculations that are done by
POV-Ray in the course of a render?

> How many people do you think would want this and how much would they
> be willing to pay?

On a budget of $10000 I can buy an Athlon XP render farm that will
enable me to render a feature-length Rusty animation in about six
months (and that includes making frames that would take 7.5 hours to
render on my current machine).

Regards,
John