POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : a bug.... : Re: a bug.... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a bug....
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 24 Jul 2002 01:40:52
Message: <3D3E3ECB.D46BEEF9@u.arizona.edu>
hughes b wrote:
> Oh. Makes sense. Forgot about that kind of thing, gradient pattern too.
> Thing about it is though, why is the surface of an object not using the
> pattern affected also? Acts like the pattern supersedes surfaces or
> something.

I don't think it does.  I think that when the ray gets traced through
the cylinder, it accumulates a bit of floating point error on the way,
and that this gives rise to odd effects when it intersects the plane,
and you can see these artifacts through the transparent cylinder.  If
you make the cylinder opaque, the noise on it disappears.