POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NURBS Bend (16KB) : Re: NURBS Bend (16KB) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 00:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS Bend (16KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Jul 2002 15:19:42
Message: <3D3DACBD.48823766@hotmail.com>
"Rick [Kitty5]" wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Here's a little peek at what I'm working on these days.
> >
> > The image shows a bivariate NURBS surface together with
> > it's control points. A few of the control points (yellow
> > spheres) are not visible.
> >
> > The two "straight" lines visible upon the surface of the
> > bend is caused by my mesh2 macro, which was not made for
> > surfaces with this kind of topology. (The normal is not
> > calculated correctly along these lines, but I'll probably
> > fix that soon.)
>
> now if you could get this to directly read the output from rhino, save
> converting to a mesh a exporting etc etc

Rick,

If Rhino outputs the control data for its NURBS into binary files, then
those files would be difficult (or impossible ?) to read with the POV SDL.
(In that case I think a file converter program would be needed.)

I have looked briefly at the proposed NURBS extension to VRML-97.
(http://www.blaxxun.com/developer/contact/3d/nurbs/spec/nurbsproposal.html)

- And I think that maybe I could adopt my macros to adhere as close
as possible to such a standard.

There's one great worry though: Trimming of NURBS. (To allow for
complex surface topologies.) - I fear that POV's SDL will be to slow for
this task.

Btw.:
I (and others) have already made macros that will export the meshes
(e.g. mesh2 or STL) produced by these parametric surface functions.

Tor Olav