POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:24:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Jul 2002 11:57:19
Message: <3D319F0A.D73B6DB4@free.fr>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Hadn't thought of that.. I was thinking of a single normal definiing the center of
the triangle and
> therefor the curve of the whole thing.. Forgot there where 3. lol However.. What
about an
> ellipsoid? That I think would, but kind of creates and even bigger mess figuring it
out. lol May still
> not work, but it may be worth the try anyway since if it wasn't possible it should
produce a very
> interesting shape, which itself would be very difficult to produce correctly.

Ellipsoid is only a linear transformation of a sphere, so it won't help when the
normals
do not meet.

> Though I agree that in most cases it probably isn't needed, but I kind of get tired
of supposedly
> 'high-end' models that when rendered require you go back and photoshop the edges
because
> you can't smooth out obvious surfaces on the line parallel to the camera view. I
don't care how
> good you are with photoshop you miss some and for people like me that are horrible
at it... lol
> Additional tessalation is a very poor answer imho. There has got to be a better way
and this one
> could produce interesting results in the attempt for anyone with the knowledge to
make the attempt.

> First step I think would be to figure out how much to move the points to make them
match a true
> sphere,

If you keep insisting on getting both vertices and normales, you have too much
constraint
for the
general case to work.

> then use that displacement to scale that part to an ellipsiod. Since the normals
would still
> be pointing the right way for both that section of the ellipsiod and the intended
curve...

A linear transformation would help you to make convergent the normale!

> Hard to say
> without trying, at least for me. Hmm. Though... there may be problems there too, but
only in the sense
> of rotation, the needed curve will occure someplace at the right angles on an
ellipsoid, but finding it is
> the rub. :p

Consider when a normal is turned toward the center of the triangle and an other is
turning away of that center. You won't find that surface on a sphere, or even on
ellipsoid.

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/