POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ior mapping? : Heat Waves (was Re: Ior mapping?) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Heat Waves (was Re: Ior mapping?)
From: Tom A
Date: 12 Jul 2002 15:14:23
Message: <3D2F2A8F.C505A999@my-deja.com>
Warp wrote:

> Tom A. <tar### [at] my-dejacom> wrote:
> > I haven't tried it, but you might be able to get something like it with
> > a bunch of clear cylinders between you and the mirage, axis of cylinder
> > perpendicular (or not quite ?) to the camera, different iors in each
> > cylinder.
>
>   Remember to raise max_trace_level accordingly and be prepared for a
> really long render... ;)
>
> --//  - Warp -

I just posted an animation on the binaries.animation group that uses an
isofunction to generate heat waves.

Since the question was originally posted here, I thought I'd post a
pointer to it.

And using the single object (admittedly an isosurface) wasn't too bad -
took about 30 seconds per frame, including the 5-10 seconds to parse the
blobman.

--
Tom A.
Avon: I'm going to reprogram this computer.