POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:46:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Jul 2002 16:16:59
Message: <3D2DE746.4AB766CA@free.fr>
TinCanMan wrote:

> > > Why build a sphere out of triangles if you can just use the sphere
> object in
> > > POV-Ray?  Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me...
> > >
> > >     Thorsten
>
> > By 3 points and 3 normals (only direction, with the same constraints that
> <snip>
> > Non Sine Numine
> > http://grimbert.cjb.net/
> > Etiquette is for those with no breeding;
> > fashion for those with no taste.
>
> That's one heck of a reply, but I think you misunderstood what Thorsten was
> implying. He was talking about building a sphere using meshes not building
> meshes out of spheres (though that is very interesting and you gave quite a
> thorough answer)

I agree, I was replying after to Thorsten but my target was the original
poster in the previous post.

Internal mental note: Learn to reply correctly!->

I mainly agree with Thorsten that building a sphere with this idea is worthless
and conter-productive.
And more over, it will introduced another 2D object which cannot be used in CSG
either. Meshes are a pleague, once you start with them, you stop thinging about
volume.

> BTW to Thorsten: I think the original reference to building a sphere out of
> meshes was just a simple analogy, not meant to be taken literally but meant
> to be extended to more complex objects.

Me too, but is there such complex objects that could be done by hand ?
(it was the reason of the initial idea...)

Now, where is the original poster ?
Because (s)he has some answers to provide if (s)he really wants some work to be
done...