POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : refracted/reflected light not attenuated : Re: refracted/reflected light not attenuated Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: refracted/reflected light not attenuated
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 7 Jul 2002 12:30:22
Message: <3D286CB1.B70525CA@gmx.de>
> My question:
> Is it possible to circumvent this and get reflected or refracted light
> attenuated by distance?

I'm by no means a professional programmer yet, and have absolutely
no insight into the POV-Code or any understanding of it...

Nontheless, I think that it could be done, but is probably pretty
difficult to implement into the already existing code. I don't know
how much information a ray "carries" with itself (rgb-values,
reflection-values, ior-values etc), but you would have to add
the distance any certain lightsource has to the calculated position.
If you've got like a dozen lightsources, the data increases exponentially,
because for every next ray, these dozen lightsources needs to be
consulted again...

Thinking about it, I don't think it can actually be implemented in a
way that POV-Ray may run on a computer different than a
Silicon-Graphics multiprocessor TerraByte-RAM computers...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde