POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop : Re: 48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 48-bit PNG output from POVRay garbled in Photoshop
From: Ken
Date: 2 Jul 2002 00:06:04
Message: <3D21268C.CB2321@pacbell.net>
George Pantazopoulos wrote:

> Hey all,
>     When I output a PNG file with Bits_Per_Color=16, loading it into
> Photoshop 6.0 does not produce a recognizable image. Is there something
> wrong with POV's 48-bit PNG output, or am I missing something here? I would
> prefer to just output a PPM with a .raw extension, but theres no way to
> automate this anymore as +FR was dropped. I'd rather not have to use
> +oImage.raw becaue then I lose the ability to have the scene file name in
> the image. (Photoshop does not read PPM files with a .ppm extension, they
> have to be loaded as .raw).
>
> Any ideas on getting POVRay to output a 48-bit PNG (or other 48-bit file
> format) suitable for Photoshop?

This has been reported before. Most people agree that for some reason
Photoshop has poor support for the .png file format and there is little
that can be done with POV-Ray to fix it. If they try to support the
format that Photoshop can use then it breaks the .png support for all
of the other programs that can use the png files that POV-Ray produces.

My sugestion: Complain to the makes of Photoshop and get them to fix
their program.

--
Ken Tyler