POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Algorithm-approach to eliminate intersections... : Re: Algorithm-approach to eliminate intersections... Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:26:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Algorithm-approach to eliminate intersections...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 20 Jun 2002 20:15:49
Message: <3D127030.F38805F6@gmx.de>
Apache wrote:

> You could put all the objects in tree-like structures to speed up the
> searching process. Order by location: x-coord, y-coord and z-coord --> 3
> levels

How would you model tree-structures in POV-Ray?

Arrays are likely not to work, since adding and deleting
leafs is near to impossible (in terms of easy handling and
parse time).

I've though about creating some basic routines like trees
etc with File I/O and a well-thought-of naming system,
but first I'd have to dig myself into tree-structures again,
and then into methods/macros of implementing that
to POV...

Using File I/O, its not too difficult keeping track of
positions/normals and their amount when using some
clever String-Parsing and identifiers...

But right now, I was thinking about something simple
to implement. Needn't be the best of the best, just
something to quicken it up a little. If I use a macro
to call that sorting, I could easily update and enhance
it later some day...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde