POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ior mapping? : Re: Ior mapping? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ior mapping?
From: Tom A
Date: 11 Jun 2002 09:44:05
Message: <3D05FEA5.AEE7DF3F@my-deja.com>
TinCanMan wrote:

> I was thinking about this the other night and am not sure how possible or
> easy to do it would be.  Would it be possible to make a patched POV that
> could use 'ior mapping', i.e., ior values could use something like a density
> map for varying ior values within a material.  I was thinking this could
> come in handy in some different situations such as mirages or that
> appearance you get looking at hot pavement (I can't remember what to call
> it) or for modeling of non-homogeneous materials.
> I'm not much of a POV programmer myself so I don't think I would be up to
> the task, but perhaps someone else is interested in the idea, if it's even
> possible.
>
> -tgq

I haven't tried it, but you might be able to get something like it with
a bunch of clear cylinders between you and the mirage, axis of cylinder
perpendicular (or not quite ?) to the camera, different iors in each
cylinder.

--
Tom A.
The problem was that Apostles were hard to come by and, worse, they had