POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Space scene?! : Re: Space scene?! Server Time
5 Jul 2024 07:59:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space scene?!
From: Brendan Ryan
Date: 3 Jun 2002 20:49:55
Message: <3CFC0D54.5090603@global2000.net>
Txemi Jendrix wrote:

> 3cfba1dc@news.povray.org...
>
>>I would like to create a space scene in pov-ray, the stars, planets. is
>>there a way to create a space scene. I tried but didn't work out as i'd
>>
> like
>
>>it to. A black background came up but no stars
>>i tried using the stars file that is already included. Any ideas

The stars in the stars include file are textures, which can't be used in
sky_spheres.  Sky_spheres can only use pigments.  To use the stars
include file, put the texture on a big sphere and then put your camera
and lights inside it.
*if you use media, use the hollow keyword with the big sphere

> If you want real images of planets, you can get it in the NASA site.

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/
This site lets you see rendered pictures and you can download the maps
it uses.

More maps are here:
http://www.evildrganymede.demon.co.uk/render/render_f.htm
http://gw.marketingden.com/planets/planets.html

Good ones are at this one
http://www.mmedia.is/~bjj/

Look in the povray documentation for how to use image_maps.
Brendan