POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : NURBS Bend (16KB) : Re: NURBS Bend (16KB) Server Time
26 Apr 2024 06:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS Bend (16KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 3 Jun 2002 20:31:21
Message: <3CFC096D.EDF1420@hotmail.com>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> Although I do find NURBS interesting, I'm curious:
> are they easy to visualize? I mean, do you have some
> sort of external modeller for that, or are you using pure
> POV and some other methods, like Wireframe etc?
>
> Cause when I use POV, I need to either visualize things
> very easily, or I need a lot of patience and trace a lot
> of 360 degree views etc...

Tim,
I have barely used any modellers, so I have very little
experience with them. I like to write POV scripts instead.

When I'm working with NURBS, I first try to sketch on
paper the general shape that I want to make. (It also
happens that I am just curious about what shape a certain
macro will output.)

And then I try to figure out where I'll have to put the
control points (that will pull the surface towards them).

Then I call my NURBS and mesh macros and feed them with
the control points and the output from some macros that
generates different knot vectors and weights for the
control points.

When I see the output from this, I might adjust the
control points and their weights. Sometimes I also switch
to other knot macros (in order to have the surface to
"approach" the control points in a different "way".)

Tor Olav