POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Possible POVWin feature addition : Re: Possible POVWin feature addition Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible POVWin feature addition
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 28 May 2002 05:11:43
Message: <3CF33C9F.68030543@frege.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
Chris Cason wrote:

> I have to agree with this. Almost no-one would turn it on. If it defaults to
> 'off' we might as well not do it.

I do not use win, so I know little about these things. What makes you think
that noone would turn it on? I see two possibilities.

1: Noone would want to have it on. In that case you should not default it
   to on, since it's not what people want.
2: People don't care but are too lazy to turn it on. In that case any default
   would be OK. In order to make people turn it on you have to make use
   of their lazyness.

Picturing myself as a win user I would prefer the following solution:
If I always click Ok during installation, no data is sent, but everytime
it would be sent, I get a dialog offering
- to go on as before (ie. periodically popping the dialog)
- to always send the data and not bother me again
- to always send the data popping Warp's message
- to never send the data and not bother me again
In this case nobody could blame povray for tricking her/him into sending
informnation she/he didn't mean to send and the lazy people will eventually
be fed up with the dialog and then WILL take the time and WILL decide
what they want.
(I understand that it is good win practise often to bug the user with popups)

As I said I do not use win, so please do not take this as a vote.

  Mark Weyer