POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation) : Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation)
From: Timothy R  Cook
Date: 24 May 2002 22:11:17
Message: <3CEEF2BD.DFC9A05D@bellsouth.net>
Alessandro Coppo wrote:
> Whenever I need to explain the ENOURMOUS difference between Open Source
> Software and Free Software, POVLEGAL.DOC is a wonderful example...

We are at odds, here, I think in the usage of the word 'free'.
CLEARLY, the normal usage relates to monetary cost, not ideal
freedom-of-doing-whatever-the-hell-you-want.  As for the former,
POV *IS* free.  For the latter, I would wager that almost no
software fits in that category.  It seems the idea that if
something isn't completely free, it prevents the user from
expressing themselves in their own way is fairly prevalent,
but it's a load of horse hockey; everything comes at the cost
of some freedom, given willingly.  You give up your freedom
to run around killing people in exchange for the security of
other people not doing the same to you.  And so on.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com