POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation) : Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation) Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 24 May 2002 03:51:48
Message: <3CEDF114.9FF499BC@gmx.de>
Jari Juslin wrote:

> This reminds me of some things I have thought and decided to ask from
> other povers.
>
> [...]

It seems there are a few misconceptions here:

- the GPL (or similar licences) are not restricted to software, they can
be applied to any copyrighted work like text and of course also to
POV-Scripts like triangle meshes without active elements like macros etc.

- the Image produced with a POV-Script is IMO not bound to the licence of
the script.  It is a piece of work generated by using a program (two in
fact, the script and POV-Ray itself) just like the image painted with gimp
or the terrain generated by gforge.  Of course you can also put an Image
under GPL, but that's a different thing.  It is not a 'binary' compiled
from a source code because it is not result of a conversion but an
interpretation process.  I know this is a somehow weak distinction and
it's surely possible to find borderline cases.  You can even do some kind
of 'decompilation' by extracting geometry data from images.

Of course this does not prevent you from creating a licence forcing the
POV-Script of an image to be published if it uses an include file
published under this licence.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,