POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro quotation) : Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV code and software rights (was: Re: question regarding macro
From: Jari Juslin
Date: 23 May 2002 20:38:56
Message: <3CED8B9F.85AB862B@iki.fi>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2002 01:57:13 +0300, Jari Juslin <zds### [at] ikifi> wrote:
> > The
> > image produced by POV-Ray from source code will not be some general
> > result the user happened to create using the source - it's almost
> > exactly the same as author of the source wanted it to be.
>
> Umm... I am confused... Are you implying that an image generated 'by'
> povray is produced in a way that it could fall under the same
> license??

I am talking about licences of POV-Ray image source code. So, when you
have a .pov file, what are the relations of rights of .pov source code
and resulting image.

> Hoever if you mean the source as in the SDL file itself then someone
> 'could' license it in some fashion that disallowed its use. In fact
> as a general rule any such works are automatically covered by the
> producer's own copyrights and in general must be explicitly stated
> as being allow to be used by another party.

Yes, that's true. But the interesting part is that if I make a POV-Ray
picture and release the source code for it under some licence similar to
GPL, what kind of licence should it be in order to work in a meaningful
way. As with software, licencing under GPL or similar wouldn't take away
any of my rights as author, but it would give others some rights and
guarantee that I can't take those rights away later.

I was maybe a bit confusing, but I tried to discuss the possibility of
using GPL as is and how it would apply to POV-Ray images.

--
          /"\                           |    iki.
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign |    fi/