POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I create cloud shadows in the atmosphere? : Re: How can I create cloud shadows in the atmosphere? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I create cloud shadows in the atmosphere?
From: Timothy R  Cook
Date: 21 May 2002 15:22:32
Message: <3CEA9E76.79B493D8@bellsouth.net>
Slime wrote:
> > So I was wondering if anyone else had seen similar effects
> > and was a sample program available, so I could create these
> > real-world effects in my renderings.

> I *love* those two effects you mentioned, they're beautiful.
> And you certainly do need scattering media to model them. I
> don't have any really good examples for you; just look up
> "media" and then "scattering" in the documentation.
> It takes lots of practice to get it to look right.

I'm currently doing an underwater scene, but the effect is
the same.  How I accomplish it is follows: scattering media
of desired flavour in hollow scene-containing primitve,
point or area light to taste, sphere around light with noisy
colourmap with one of the areas with transmit of 1 or higher.
Of course, if you're wanting the camera to be pointing at
the lightsource and you want clouds, those would replace
the sphere for accomplishing the effect.  I just used the
sphere 'cuz it was a quick way of getting what I wanted.
Image to follow in p.b.i as soon as it finishes.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.scifi-fantasy.com