POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media interaction with Spotlights : Re: Media interaction with Spotlights Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media interaction with Spotlights
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 18 May 2002 06:22:04
Message: <3CE62B2C.8673A42C@gmx.de>
I traced your scene and played a little with it.

One thing I noticed is that you have to take
into account that scattering media also darkens
the image as too much dust may "eat" the light.

Another one: Looks at beta-test, there's
a post on the 6. May from with title
"Media broken?", in which I ran into
that same problem.

I am not really sure, what the nature of this
effect is. Its all about sampling, intervals,
scatterings affection on the colors ect, so
it might just be look if you hit the correct
combination.

Peter Popov told me there to look at "ratio",
which places more samples in lit areas than
in unlit ones. Altogether I think this subject
could be made more clear by someone
who actually wrote the code and has some
specific insight. I didn't fully understand
why spotlights are not infinite and may be
traced in infinite media better than pointlights
in infinite media etc.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde