POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : HF Macros - serious bug, optimizations and little suggestion : Re: HF Macros - serious bug, optimizations and little suggestion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HF Macros - serious bug, optimizations and little suggestion
From: Mark Weyer
Date: 16 May 2002 10:17:55
Message: <3CE3B24B.92CE09BD@frege.mathematik.uni-freiburg.de>
> > Mathematically, you are correct.
> > But Computationaly, you may end up with overlapping part and holes,

> What you mean ? This time I have tested my suggestions.

What I think J'er^ome means is that you assert the distributive law,
ie (a+b)*c=a*c+b*c. This law holds mathemtically but not
numerically. Counterexample:
  (2.01+2.01)*0.5 = 4.02*0.5 = 2.01
  2.01*0.5+2.01*0.5 = 1.00+1.00 = 2.00
or
  2.01*0.5+2.01*0.5 = 1.01+1.01 = 2.02
depending on how you round 1.005. This example uses 3-digit base-10
representation.

  Mark Weyer