POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : balls simulation (665k) : Re: balls simulation (665k) Server Time
17 May 2024 23:05:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: balls simulation (665k)
From: Mark James Lewin
Date: 15 May 2002 02:04:13
Message: <3CE1FA96.CB554EC6@yahoo.com.au>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> That difficult to say, but it's quite a bit different than a classical
> particle system.  It is certainly much slower than a system like Rune's,
> but you can't really compare that.  I do not yet simulate rotation of the
> balls, but i plan to add that although i'm a bit afraid of the
> mathematics... ;-)

Rotation... yikes! Good luck!

> > When I saw Rune's water, I had a similar idea, but did not have the time to persue
it.
> > The balls entering the water lack splashes. I wonder whether you could generate
'water'
> > particles if ball velocity entering the water exceeds a certain limit. These water
> > particles could then be treated like other particles, with the exception that they
> > would be destroyed if they re-entered the pool of water.
>
> This is an interesting idea, but quite tricky.  Where do you think the
> particles should be created and with what direction of movement?

Point of impact to no more than the radius of the ball causing the disturbance, with
directions spread between parallel to the water surface and parallel to ball surface
influence (maybe?). This is just a guess (and I haven't tried it myself) but I agree,
it is a
tricky problem. I think that knowing whether the ball will give rise to a splash or
just a
'plop' will also be hard.

MJL