POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : balls simulation (665k) : Re: balls simulation (665k) Server Time
17 May 2024 21:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: balls simulation (665k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 May 2002 02:41:26
Message: <3CE0B195.FD74C607@gmx.de>
Mark James Lewin wrote:

> Nice simulation! Good to see someone take a different approach to particle systems
too.
> Do you have an estimate on how much faster/slower your method is compared to the
usual
> particle system methods?

That difficult to say, but it's quite a bit different than a classical
particle system.  It is certainly much slower than a system like Rune's,
but you can't really compare that.  I do not yet simulate rotation of the
balls, but i plan to add that although i'm a bit afraid of the
mathematics... ;-)

> When I saw Rune's water, I had a similar idea, but did not have the time to persue
it.
> The balls entering the water lack splashes. I wonder whether you could generate
'water'
> particles if ball velocity entering the water exceeds a certain limit. These water
> particles could then be treated like other particles, with the exception that they
> would be destroyed if they re-entered the pool of water.

This is an interesting idea, but quite tricky.  Where do you think the
particles should be created and with what direction of movement?

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______