POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3d math - line intersecting a plane : Re: 3d math - line intersecting a plane Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d math - line intersecting a plane
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 11 May 2002 18:41:29
Message: <3CDD9CFC.D1CDECC5@hotmail.com>
Slime wrote:

> > I forgot to mention that with POV-Ray v3.5 the quickest
> > method should be to use the trace() keyword.
>
> Quickest to code, yes... is it really faster to calculate though? Especially
> when the plane has to be created as an object?

Hmmmm...
I haven't used the trace keyword much, so I don't know.

I should probably also mention that I believe the trace
method requires that the line vector points towards the
plane. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

While one can overcome this problem with some vector
calculations, I'm quite sure that the parsing time for
this will be longer than for the expression I suggested.

Tor Olav