POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Hermann Voßeler
Date: 28 Apr 2002 18:12:00
Message: <3CCC7187.1000502@webcon.de>
Harold Baize wrote:
> Thorsten said:
>>But they are not wrong!  As soon as your eyes focus on something this is
>>precisely the effect you have.  What you are trying to generate is an
>>image infinitely far away, so your eyes have to look nearly parallel.
>
> That is true, our EYES see the images this way, but our brain does not.
> I don't think he is trying to generate an image at infinity, but expects it
> to look as if it were at infinity, because he (we) can't recreate the
> viewing experience of looking at a scene close to our face. Also, it
> is convergence that is the issue, not focus. The eyes cross (converge)
> on close objects.

Some time ago I saw a specialized stereo viewer that simulated
this cross converging for objects rather very near to the eyes.
It was used to show macro stereo images of some machinery or
technical constructions.
But such a thing only works with a stereo viewer with lenses.

For presenting stereo images on a computer monitor or on a
slide projection screen, we have to consider, that both half images
are presented on the same (screen) plane. Because of this, the
image planes used to create the halfimages need to be aligned as
well, otherwise you will get the keystone distortions Harold Baize
mentioned when bringing the two halfimages on a single plane for
presentation.

Btw., our eyes have a curved image plane (retina) and can be turned.
And the brain compensates as well.

When making stereoscopic images, we don't simulate the human eye/brain
system itself. But we rather create a view, that can be percepted by
the human eye/brain system in a way similar to the natural two-eyed
3D viewing.