POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How can I shift the image plane? : Re: How can I shift the image plane? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How can I shift the image plane?
From: Hermann Voßeler
Date: 28 Apr 2002 17:57:34
Message: <3CCC6E27.10000@webcon.de>
Alex wrote:
> I was rather expecting something along the lines of the following to work:
>
> #declare offset=1   // +1 for left eye, -1 for right, (0 for cyclops!)
> camera {
>   right <4,0,0>
>   up <0,3,0>
>   direction <offset,0,4>
>   location <-5*offset,0,-20>
>   look_at <0,0,0>
>   }
>
> but all that happens is the 'right' vector gets rotated to be
> perpendicular to the direction vector, causing the keystone distortion
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Oh my God!
This *DID* work allways. I created dozens of stereo pairs with
POV-Ray versions prior to 3.5 by using this approach.

If the 3.5 perspective camera rotates the vectors, I would
consider this clearly a bug. What, if someone wants to make
a shift (like shift optics at real world cameras) ??

<rant>
I think, it is wrong to break a working feature that is
commonly needed by advanced users in order to make things
more easy for the newbies.
</rant>

Ok ok--
I shouldn't complain.

If  POV 3.5 's camera would be broken in this way,
all Stereo enthusiasts were forced to use my StereoPOV patch :-;