POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? : Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I use most of my RAM for tracing?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Apr 2002 05:14:49
Message: <3CCBBD89.B31F5983@gmx.de>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'm just wondering if POV-Ray (oh, for Windows, by the
> way) uses the entire RAM by itself or has a certain
> limitation (like using only 90% or such)...
>
> Thanks for any help in advance!

POV-Ray uses as much memory as it *needs*, not more, not less. If the OS
does not supply enough it will stop with an error.

How much memory it needs obviously depends on the scene.

On Windows systems you have the limitation of 2 GB of maximum memory that
can be supplied by the OS to a program, no matter whether physical memory
or not.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,