POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A slightly different Trivariate (130KB) : Re: A slightly different Trivariate (130KB) Server Time
28 Apr 2024 21:50:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A slightly different Trivariate (130KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Apr 2002 19:14:41
Message: <3CC5EAAC.491D0CFE@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:
> I looked at the modeler link which you posted for me(Thanks), and it looks
> basically like a limited Pov-Ray type program with several mesh macros. I am
> considering writing such a program myself and adding a graphical interface
> which can be used to drag control points for mathematical surfaces. If the
> parsing time for even a reasonable preview is too high (your picture only
> seems to have a few thousand faces) I think I could get around this by
> having two accuracy variables for this shape. One would control the true
> accuracy and the other would control the degree to which the true points are
> subdivided. That way, a user can make changes and see some reasonable
> quality renders before a final (perhaps hours long) re-parse of all his
> objects.
>
> Do you think that C would be the best language in which to write such a
> modeller?

Yes, either C or C++. Because they are powerful
and are widely used in the industry.

If you care for portability, then Java might be
a better (but slower ?) solution.

You should also have a look at OpenGL:

http://www.opengl.org/users/about/index.html
(I have not done that myself yet, but I hope
that I some day will find time for that.)

"The OpenGL standard has language bindings for
C, C++, Fortran, Ada, and Java."

> If so, can you recommend a good instruction book for the language,

At this page:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/C-faq/learn/

- you'll find the answers to these questions:

14: What are the best books I can learn C from?
15: What are the best books I can learn C++ from?

I have the 2nd edition of "The C Programming Language"
by Kernighan & Ritchie. And I think it is quite good.

> and if not, can you suggest another language?

I have programmed some in Pascal. - And I like that
language very much (maybe better than C).

If you want to play with the Pascal language then I
recommend that you check out Delphi; which uses
object oriented Pascal. (I think Borland has a
personal edition which you can download for free.)

http://www.borland.com/delphi/

http://www.borland.com/kylix/
(Similar "thing" for Linux)

> I'm not sure if this is possible, but I want to make the modeler so that
> it can open Pov-Ray and render objects without the user's having to do much.

This is what Moray does, so it is possible.

http://www.stmuc.com/moray/

Tor Olav