POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Security Issues in Povray? : Re: Security Issues in Povray? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:11:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Security Issues in Povray?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 22 Apr 2002 13:40:08
Message: <3CC44AF5.6D0E0E2D@gmx.de>
ncryptor wrote:

> I have been studying the Linux source code of POV-Ray (version that is
> posted on web site).
> It may be possible to obtain shell or other access to the host's computer by
> exploiting bugs in pov's handling of command line parameters. Try this:
> give pov a very long command line parameter and it crashes with a
> segmentation fault. I am trying to see if this is exploitable, it
> probably is.
>
> A possible exploit of this could be to gain access to a computer
> running pov as part of a render farm. The command line for pov depends on
> the information sent from the server to the client farmer, so an
> exploiter could spoof information and gain access to the user's computer.
>
> The problematic file is optin.c

I must say i don't get it, a render farm (either PVM or some custom
coordination program) starts povray internally, i don't see how you could
'obtain shell or other access'.  If you see a problem, please post an
example where this becomes visible.

Note that being able to execute programs with Post_Scene_Command etc. is a
different topic, but therefore IO-restrictions are introduced in 3.5.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 20 Apr. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______