POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Source code for the "NURBS surface" image : Re: Source code for the "NURBS surface" image Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:54:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Source code for the "NURBS surface" image
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 8 Apr 2002 20:36:06
Message: <3CB233EE.7550369E@online.no>
Thank you for your comments Hugo.

Hugo wrote:

> Thank you Tor! This looks really promising. Your comments will help me a
> lot. I already played with your first nurbs-code, and I see the control
> points have to be in a grid. So, it's not possible to insert an extra point
> in a row, without modifying all other rows.. I suppose it's very hard to get
> beyond this limitation?

Yes, I think this is one of the arguments against
NURBS surfaces when compared to subdivision of
surfaces techniques.

Here are some subdivision posts:

http://news.povray.org/search/?s=Subdivision+Surface

> But I see your new code allows me to easily adjust weights .. that's a
> progress. :o)

Unfortunately the code I posted here doesn't
contain any new macros.

I have just tried to show how to call some of the
NURBS macros "manually", instead of calling them
via the NURBS_SurfaceMesh() macro, which makes a
lot of decisions for the users. One of them is
to set all weights to 1. (I made that macro just
so that people could get started easily.)

> I will try nurbs to make interesting transitions between
> ordinary primitives.. For example fancy edges of a box.. Next, I will try
> some organic shapes..

I'm very interested in seeing your achievements.

> Well, it seems many shapes could also be done with
> isosurfaces (and they are not limited to a grid) but nurbs could be more
> precise. I mean, the exact location of a point in a blobbed isosurface seems
> very unpredictable to me.. POV-nurbs could very well develop into a useful
> modelling tool!

Yes, I hope so.

> But first I'll have to learn more.
> Thanks for your work.