POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation patch... available soon : Re: Tesselation patch... available soon Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:10:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation patch... available soon
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 5 Apr 2002 11:39:45
Message: <3CADD390.4070608@comtrade.ee>

[Snip]
> Because the program is using technics that might be relevant
> to the patents (I'm not the final judge on that, the court would be),
> if you were using the program while also being subject to the USA patents,
> you would be infringing the laws.
> This would means for you to be sent to jail, get a big fine or
> whatever suit the texts, prosecutors and judges.
It could happen in Europe as well, for thanks to BSA initiative
European commission tries to give green light to software patents
in Europe. See http://petition.eurolinux.org
But I think that POV-Ray gets attention by lawyers only if it tries to
compete with other commercial packages, as long it does not offer any
possibility to make money, it can vegetate...
[F-ups to offtopic]