POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Go ahead and tell me : Re: Go ahead and tell me Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Go ahead and tell me
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 11 Mar 2002 12:23:02
Message: <3C8CE8F3.8060506@comtrade.ee>
Vadim Sytnikov wrote:
> It seems like BMRT has been acquired, altogether with support site, and is
> being actively incorporated into the paid product (ExLuna?).
>
> There is no development happening there for the very long time now... BTW,
> BMRT author now (not surprisingly) works for Pixar.

Vadim, Your information is a little bit outdated. Larry Gritz, author of
BMRT, worked for Pixar, but about 1 year ago leaved it and created his own
company, called Exluna. BMRT is now maintained by Exluna (previously L.
Gritz was only developer) and still developed (although not very
actively, as it seems), but their main product is Entropy, RenderMan
compliant renderer (it's not raytracer, but scanline renderer, using
somewhat similar technology as PRMan, Pixars renderer). Exluna has
gathered quite a number of CG gurus (Matt Pharr, Pat Hanrahan, L. Gritz
himself, Steve Upstill etc.)