POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.books : POV Ray How Tos : Re: POV Ray How Tos Server Time
20 Sep 2024 18:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Ray How Tos
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 11 Mar 2002 10:27:39
Message: <3C8CCCEB.84A14B5@gmx.de>
Mitchell Waite wrote:

> If you want to see almost all the Waite Group titles check out
> www.mitchwaite.com and click on the Books icon. There are tons of Bibles
> listed.

Only for those having flash installed...

> Your definition of what a Bible is in the technical sense is wrong. Bibles
> are compendiums of everything, they satisfy all level of readers, from
> beginners to advanced users. Spend some time at the computer book section of
> Borders and you'll see my point. I like the Bible title, it seems to sum up
> our outline better than anything I have thought of so far. And I have not
> heard one good reason so far not to use it. But I am always open to new
> title ideas so a contest would be fun.

I agree, but I see two problems with a title involving 'Bible':

- the possible indignation of buyers because of the religious implication.
This should also be seen under the aspect that the Povray community is
very international and such a title would not represent this very well.

- 'Bible' implies completeness to some extend.  This is something that
should be kept in mind and would have to be checked when the book is
written: Does it cover all important aspects?  Someone buying a 'bible'
would not like to be told that certain important things are simply not in
the book.

Both things not necessarily mean the book should not be named 'bible', but
such a decision should not be made without serious considerations.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,