POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A vexing problem starting with the help file issue : Re: A vexing problem starting with the help file issue Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A vexing problem starting with the help file issue
From: Ken
Date: 5 Mar 2002 08:29:41
Message: <3C84C876.B816A312@pacbell.net>
"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote:

>     I am a new poster to this group, and I hope that somebody can help me
> out with this problem.

Hi Chip. Strange to see a S.E.* regular here :)

>     This system has supported POVray 3.1 (not sure of the letter, it was
> erased) for about a year or so, and now I cannot install 3.1 on it.  Once
> again, 3.5 beta installed perfectly and ran with no problems.  Now that it
> has expired, however, I have no means of rendering because I have no POVray
> at all.
>     I did a complete disk surface check (hours!) and a defragmentation.
> There are no errors, I ran diagnostics, all RAM is okay, no hardware
> problems.  Everything else runs the same as always.  Please help!

A couple years ago, when I was first installing 3.1g, I too had problems
with both the download and the help file. It took a lot of time and
effort to get it resolved and to this day I do not know exactly what I
did to finally get it to work - extreme measures were taken.

My advice at this point in time is to just stick with the 3.5 beta version
of the program. We have not had any reports with regards the problems with
the help file in the newest version, likely because we are now using a
different help format. If you don't want to download the whole distribution
each month you can download just the executable from -

http://www.povray.org/binaries/windows/pvengine-vc6-beta-12.zip

and place it in the "bin" folder in the folder where you installed
POV-Ray. This should keep you alive until we get the final version
ready for release a little later this year.

--
Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group