POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL : Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL Server Time
15 May 2024 07:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: "VOP" - POV-Ray Previewer using OpenGL
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 4 Mar 2002 09:47:57
Message: <3C8388D2.B9BE285F@gmx.de>
Wolfgang Thaller wrote:

> I chose not to write VOP as a part of POV-Ray for several reasons, one of
> which I have already explained. Another reason is that it would be much
> harder to maintain the code if it was part of POV-Ray. If someone changed
> part of POV-Rays internal architecture to optimize something, I'd have
> to immediately adapt my program. If I stopped working on my code, It would
> be gone within a year.

That's not necessarily true, to a large extend Povray profits from patches
written by the users and if a patch is no more maintained by the original
author this does not mean it will be dying, best example is probably the
glow patch which was originally written for Povray 2.2 and quite lately
adapted to Povray 3.1 by Chris Huff.

> The third reason is that I simply did not want to write the program in C,
> which is a prerequisite for integrating it with POV-Ray.
> So, please, give my program a chance - don't criticise it for not being
> something that it was never intended to be.

I did not meant to criticize your work, i was merely stating my opinions
what things could be improved, as you already said there are also good
arguments for implementing it as a POV patch, but if you prefer a
different way you are free to do so.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,