POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Topographic map to height field? : Re: Topographic map to height field? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Topographic map to height field?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 1 Mar 2002 09:21:14
Message: <3C7F8E5A.CB4CA2FF@gmx.de>
"Timothy R. Cook" wrote:

> > Are you aware this would lead to a terraced terrain which would be far
> > from realistic?
>
> Seeing's I've no other way of transferring topo data into POV/Moray,
> I'll take what I can get.  Plus I do a blur after putting in all the
> lines/filling them thereby getting a smoother image...but even then
> I get a terraced look.  Even if I could output more than 256 shades
> of grey, it'd still be terraced, just at a finer level.

I doubt you would have any luck with that method.

There are programs performing height line -> DEM conversion, for example
GRASS:

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/index2.html

but they usually produce unnaturally smooth results.  Methods taking into
account the sharp edges typical for terrain are quite complicated and
usually rely on further information like river lines etc.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,