POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : POV Memory : Re: POV Memory Server Time
25 Apr 2024 22:43:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Memory
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 22 Feb 2002 19:58:55
Message: <3C76EA1E.2060303@comtrade.ee>
majucatur wrote:
> Hi.
>
>    I have a question for you, well, I'm developing a ray-tracing program and
> I need help with the aspect of the memory allocation. I define my objects in
> special structures, each object is allocated in memory dynamically, you
> know, with memalloc and free, but the question is: How can I optimize this?,
> I want to use the less memory possible, because with objects like mesh or
> series of thousand objects consumes a lot of RAM memory, I don't know how
> POV-Ray uses the memory to its objects, but certainly it can trace scenes
> with a lot of complex objects without problem...
>
>    Should I put everything in memory?, primitives, mesh, textures, etc. or
> exist a technique to use more efficiently my resources.
If you want to render more geometry than fits into memory, then only
option is to cache it (if you don't want to leave it to op. sys. swapping).
One paper I know about it could be found:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/displace/
Google should help in finding similar papers.
Other option is to optimize geometry. Latest Siggraph papers ('00 IIRC)
have number of various optimizations described.