POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : displacement instead of normal map : Re: displacement instead of normal map Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:56:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: displacement instead of normal map
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Feb 2002 15:01:48
Message: <3C75522A.AD4F35B4@gmx.de>

> [...]
>
> But I am looking rather for a solution that keeps the distinction
> between modeling and texturing. E.g modeling the bricks of a wall
> and then tossing in some dust, making it bumpy or rough here and
> there and the like.

In short: this won't be possible.  Trying to make real geometric
displacement in a raytracer without a mathematically consistent method
will produce rubbish.  There are methods to generate displacement mapped
meshes with high resolution 'on the fly' without storing the whole mesh in
memory, but this won't have any advantages speed-wise.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,