POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Tesselation process : Re: Tesselation process Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tesselation process
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 19 Feb 2002 02:55:15
Message: <3C7204FF.A576C56A@atosorigin.com>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> I wasn't talking about copies, but an alternate rendering method. A
> "tesselate" flag that would cause the object to be tesselated and
> rendered (and traced) as a mesh. Copies would be textured the same way
> any other object copies are textured.

Well, I wasn't talking about tesselating for rendering but mainly to
get an mesh object. What is done with the mesh is then upto the user.
It would be rendered at the end, but also may be in the meantime some non-linear
transformation might be performed on it.
Or thousand of copies of the mesh made, instead of thousand of copies of
some memory consuming objects.
Or whatever the user wants.

The main objective I want to stick with is:
One object (which might be very complex, but it is bounded, finite and solid) is
provided,
you get back a closed mesh which is somehow similar to the provided object.

I do not want to make any change in the rendering engine.
I do not want to provide a global setting which would tesselate all objects in a scene
before rendering the tesselated set of objects.

It's just a kind of 'avoid the modeler & parsing time of mesh files'.

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/