POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 4.00 question : Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible POV Object Scheme (was Re: Pov 4.00 question)
From: Hermann Voßeler
Date: 14 Feb 2002 09:30:03
Message: <3C6BC80E.9030609@webcon.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> news:3C6### [at] webconde...
>
> <snip>
>
> Might be worth implementing if only to see Ken turning in his grave.... ("But
> he's not dead", "No, but this will kill him")
>
> I don't like it, although I can see the attraction. It strikes me as mixing up
> style and content - which is exactly the confusion that got html/browsers in to
> such trouble....

the point is, it makes code much more readable, because it reduces
"syntactic noise".

Programmers usualy indent their code carefuly in order to make the
structure clear to the human reader. Only those dumb compilers don't
get right what everyone can see clearly :-;
You know, the "dangling else"-problem...

Thus, its not mixing up style and content.
With this rule, indentation is no longer a question of style but
caries valid information content, that can be exploited by the
compiler to resolve ambiguities.