POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV Ray How Tos : Re: POV Ray How Tos Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Ray How Tos
From: Ken
Date: 13 Feb 2002 21:07:50
Message: <3C6B1CA2.4D3CD44D@pacbell.net>
Mitchell Waite wrote:

> This seems to be a subset of a more general How Do I issues in POV Ray.
> Without a way to mode certain scenes in real time its almost impossible to
> guage what kind of numbers you need for a lot of effects. Media is one I
> have stumbled on and I am still not sure how to get around just trying and
> trying in a small image until the ranges seem to work.

This is a problem with advanced computationally expensive features. It used
to be that simple layered textures took forever to render in POV-Ray and
now with faster CPUs/FPUs you hardly notice them. So hopefully in the future
the pain we suffer with the current slower features will be mitigated by
having better hardware to work with.

--
Ken Tyler