POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half-toning : Re: Half-toning Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half-toning
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 3 Feb 2002 10:15:35
Message: <3C5D5450.CFC594A6@engineer.com>
The easy part was to sample the image and put a pen stroke (cylinder)
at that location modifying length and width with the sample intensity.
The interesting part is how to orient the pen strokes. I used blurred
image as hf and with trace found the direction of the contour line at
that point. Add some randomness to position and rotation  and place
brush. I used a cylinder because transparent png had some problems.
There can be several brushes with alpha channel. Several colors...

http://www.pp.htv.fi/kkivisal/ht/

More interesting stuff can be done if the range data is available
for the image like in pov. First render a scene as normal image.
Then output depth image, blur it and use as hf. The brush strokes
should follow the surfaces or something like that.

Kari Kivisalo