POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:11:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 29 Jan 2002 11:01:00
Message: <3C56C8BD.60506@reading.ac.uk>
Warp wrote:

>   Note that you can also use pigment functions in pov3.5, but it's more
> versatile: You can not only get the gray value of the pigment as its value,
> but also any of the color channels or even a hf value.

The one thing I truely mourn in the changes to the functions is their
inability to return colour at run-time.

There were certain things that could be done with

#declare fn_pig = function { pigment { ... } }
#declare warped_pig = pigment { function { fn_pig(fn_x,fn_y,fn_z) } }

type constructs in O(n) time which now need O(exp(n)) time and become
ludicrously slow.

Please note this isn't a complaint or (Heaven forbid!) a feature request
- just a small requiem for a useful feature fallen by the wayside ...

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.