POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Almost Sphere Spirals (109 KB) : Re: Almost Sphere Spirals (109 KB) Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:56:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Almost Sphere Spirals (109 KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 27 Jan 2002 20:43:07
Message: <3C54ABD4.95EB6DCA@online.no>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> If that surface structure is a normal you could make it part of the
> isosurface geometry.  Apart from that, do you have 'normal on' in
> radiosity?

I didn't think of that. Now I have started experimenting
with that. Thank you for the suggestion.

And yes, I had the normal on in radiosity.

> > I should probably mention that I had
> > to "hand correct" the finished image
> > somewhat at the sphere's "south pole".
> >
> > (Because there seems to be some
> > calculations that are not calculated
> > correctly by POV-Ray. Increasing
> > max_gradient or accuracy did not help
> > at all.)
>
> I think it's quite obvious that spiral structures lead to infinite
> gradients which can't be rendered correctly under all circumstances.

Yes that was my first thought too.

But as this shape is symmetric around both
its x and z axes (as Anton Sherwood mentioned
too), there should be infinite gradients at
the opposite pole as well.

But I have not experienced any problems at
that pole yet.

Tor Olav