POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cross-platform editor : Re: cross-platform editor Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:34:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cross-platform editor
From: Fabien HENON
Date: 27 Jan 2002 14:43:08
Message: <3C545809.60708@club-internet.fr>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <3C5### [at] club-internetfr>,
>  Fabien HENON <ffj### [at] club-internetfr> wrote:
>

>>This is a novice question : Is it possible to write a cross-platform
>>(Linux, windows, Mac) editor for POV using python and these tools ?
>>

> I don't know about Python, but I think I remember seeing a Java text
> editor that had POV-Ray syntax highlighting.
> I don't know anything about Python, but I always thought it was more for
> automating and scripting than for applications like a text editor.
>
> Hmm...Jext looks like what I was thinking of.
> http://www.povray.org/links/3D_Programs/POV-Ray_Unofficial_Patches_and_Fr
> ont_End_Programs/POV-Ray_Front_End_Programs/

I used Jedit on windows, not on Linux yet. It works fine, it even has
syntax highlighting. The point is that you have to install java on your
system, and on windows that installation program is something like 9 Mb.
Add 6 Mb for POV 3.5 on a 55.6 kbps modem...
The other thing is that it is rather sluggish to my taste.