POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Long time, no see.. : Re: Long time, no see.. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:40:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Long time, no see..
From: John VanSickle
Date: 25 Jan 2002 14:43:49
Message: <3C51B6A2.5BDB3366@hotmail.com>
Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> Well, as I fired up POV at the uni for the first time in a while (3.5
> beta10, Win version) and checked to see how 3.5 worked with my old
> SmokeGen include, I noticed something strange when doing one of the
> animation demos (SplFile2.ini in the SplFile demo directory).
>
> It seems as the initial clock value passed from the ini file gets
> slightly altered by POV3.5 - the ini file reads
>
> Initial_Clock=0.2
>
> but debugging the value at the first frame, I get
>
> 0.20000000298023224000000000000000 (str:ing the clock value with 32
> decimals)
>
> ..which means the file used to store the values from previous runs won't
> be opened WRITE and thus not overwritten when re-rendering the scene.
>
> Is this a known "problem"? I.e. has there been a change in how the clock
> value gets calculated in v3.5?

I won't answer that question, but I do know a work-around.

I simply define the start clock at 0, the end clock at 100, the
start frame at 0, and the end frame at 100.  This gives me 24 frames
per second.  If don't want all 2401 frames, I used the subset frame
feature.

Very early in the scene code I have this:

#declare Frame=floor(clock*24+.5);
#declare Clock=Frame/24;  // note capitalization!

This gives me the exact frame number, and as near to the clock as
floating point can represent.

Regards,
John
--