POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Long time, no see.. : Long time, no see.. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:33:28 EDT (-0400)
  Long time, no see..
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 24 Jan 2002 12:15:06
Message: <3C504118.7030500@ida.utb.hb.se>
Hi!

After a hard year in the business world, I'm back at the university
again (God knows for how long :) )

Anyway, this means I get some spare time again, and spare time means
hobbies (and hobbies means - you guessed it - POV).

Things have changed quite a bit since then, in that I have converted
completely to Linux (all 3 machines at home run some distro now).
Progeny's Debian is a favourite (too bad they stopped developing it),
but I'm looking forward to the Debian "Woody" release as it will
probably contain some of the features of Progeny. Too bad we also sit so
firmly in m-softs knee at the uni..I'll do my best to change that.

Well, as I fired up POV at the uni for the first time in a while (3.5
beta10, Win version) and checked to see how 3.5 worked with my old
SmokeGen include, I noticed something strange when doing one of the
animation demos (SplFile2.ini in the SplFile demo directory).

It seems as the initial clock value passed from the ini file gets
slightly altered by POV3.5 - the ini file reads

Initial_Clock=0.2

but debugging the value at the first frame, I get

0.20000000298023224000000000000000 (str:ing the clock value with 32
decimals)

..which means the file used to store the values from previous runs won't
be opened WRITE and thus not overwritten when re-rendering the scene.

Is this a known "problem"? I.e. has there been a change in how the clock
value gets calculated in v3.5?

- Mikael