POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and Quantum Mechanics? : Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:17:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 20 Jan 2002 09:47:51
Message: <3C4AD891.5506C4D6@scifi-fantasy.com>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> Details? I've done it by using averaged textures (I think Ron
> Parker discovered this technique), with each texture identical
> except for the normal...and a slower, older method used a very
> finely scaled normal and high antialiasing.

I was modelling an animation of a record rotating, having created
a series of 15 or so concentric rings out of CSGed cylinders
raised slightly over another thin cylinder.  Each ring was
separated by a distance equal to their width.  The material was
a simple shiny/reflecty grey.  As the 'record' rotated, I
observed the effect caused by the anisotropic reflective
property of brushed metal on, say, the face of a pocketwatch.

...if that isn't what anisotropic reflection is, then Caligari
is mis-labelling it in trueSpace :P