POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : HDRI lighting : HDRI lighting Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:40:36 EDT (-0400)
  HDRI lighting
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 20 Jan 2002 02:09:27
Message: <3C4A6D5B.71F4E022@engineer.com>
I tried to convert some hdr maps to 48 bit png for use as spherical
texture but there doesn't seem to be any path from the floating point
formats to png. ImageMagick for Windows couldn't convert the radiance
images (tried hdr,pic and rad). The maps are from
http://graphics3.isi.edu/~debevec/Probes/

On the same page there is a link to HDR Shop which can convert angular
maps to latitude/longitude (spherical). Camera, spherical mirror and
HDR Shop is enough to construct hdr maps from real scenes.

The dynamic range of png (64000:1) should be enough for this use as
the maximum dynamic range on the page above was 200000:1 and the
map is not supposed to be in direct view.

At the moment I don't have the need to composite CG objects and RL
images so I'm not going to investigate this further. As far as I know
this hasn't been done yet in povray. Who want's to be the first?

Kari Kivisalo