POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : does someone have an idea if... : Re: does someone have an idea if... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:01:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: does someone have an idea if...
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 18 Jan 2002 10:04:03
Message: <3C483994.54500ACB@engineer.com>
Claude Mench wrote:

>     - SubSurface scaterring. Very nice effects possible with it.

It can be approximated with scattering media but it's not going
to work in every case and requires a lot of tweaking.

http://news.povray.org/search/advanced/?s=scattering&b=Search&g=povray.binaries.images&a=0&p=979742794
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/18020/
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/18029/
and others.

>     - HDRI illumination maps.

If I'm not mistaken this can be done by mapping the image
to a sphere diffuse 0 ambient <high> no_shadow and using
radiosity with high sample count. There is another method
too but it may be slower than the high ambient map. If you
can point me to some maps and images rendered using them I
can test how POV3.5 handles such scenes.

Kari Kivisalo