POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language : Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSDL: C-like Simulation Description Language
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 16 Jan 2002 11:08:03
Message: <3C45A5CD.5060301@comtrade.ee>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> I've uploaded the current documentation for my CSDL project at:
> http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/csdl.html
>
> As for the interpreter, I'll probably just rewrite it, using what I
> learned the first time to make the new one better. The core will be
> written in platform-independant C++, and the OS X version will have a
> Cocoa GUI interface.
> Any comments/suggestions?

Your syntax supports only vectors, but if you are going to support

transformations, then perhaps it would be better to distinguish points,

vectors and normals (as they transform differently)?  RenderMan SL
supported in initial versions only points and point transformation
function and this caused quite a lot of problems. Now it has 3 different
data types and separate transformation functions for each one.
If your language will allow 'overridden' functions, then perhaps it
could get away with 1 function (if there is possibility to recognize,
which type was given as actual parameter), but better would be to use 3
different functions, as it improves readability and allows to avoid or
catch errors (IMO).