POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : reflections, trace and isos : Re: reflections, trace and isos Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: reflections, trace and isos
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Jan 2002 10:26:33
Message: <3C3DB2A0.79C5D860@gmx.de>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Care to enlighten? ;)
>
> Personally, I see them as a sort of blobby sheet constrained to a series of
> points - I've never assumed that this image is accurate, just logical...

For finding the intersection of a ray with the object (trace) Povray
successively subdivides the distance the ray crosses the container object
to find where the function value is crossing the threshold value. The
accuracy and max_gradient values stop this process at some point.

I think Mr. Suzuki gave a much better explanation somewhere, but i could
not find it.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>